Jun 5, 2011

Language Week 1

Mambo!

You would answer with Poa! or if you wanna sound really cool say shawari! Haha! Little did I know I was in for the ride of my life this week. I was drowning in a vocabulary of new words and sounds I didnt know my mouth needed to make. My language teacher is named Grace. She comes to my house 5 days a week for about 3 1/2 hours in the morning. Then I am left on my own to do my homework and study the rest of the day. I am so exhausted each night. I found myself barely leaving the house last week. My teacher is a single woman, 35 in Tanzania this is a horrible thing. She is very ridiculed by her family for not being married much less not having a child. We began talking about spiritual things this week and she wants to know more about how to grow deeper in her faith, especially reading the bible. So i gave her some homework to do and we are going to discuss it tomorrow. :)

I also got to move in this week! It was so fun finally getting out of living in a suitcase and hanging up my things and feeling finally settled. The apartment is very nice, still has a few kinks to be worked on but overall its done. I went to a church today that meets on the university campus. I was greeted by an english couple that works on campus and helps in leading the service. Since there has been some like me before they were pleased to know more of us were coming to work at the campus. They were so welcoming! I was even invited to attend a ladies bible study that meets on Friday nights. This is great, I am starving for friends, and I get to know some students while I am at it. Due to being in language we dont get involved with "ministry" just yet, but I feel like this is a good way to get my foot in the door.

My driving skills are improving. Each time I go out, I get better. I still have a lot to learn about my way around though. This city is crazy! Thanks for all your prayers, if your interested in seeing my new home copy the link below!

http://vimeo.com/24683963

1 comment:

  1. Love your house!! Decorated so nicely, I have some work to do!!!

    ReplyDelete