Jun 14, 2011

Some may come and go

The life of a m*ssion@ry is very transient. This is my lesson as of late. I live on the compound where guest housing is available to those passing thru who works for some type of mi$$ion agency. I meet many of them, and even grow attached to some, as if they lived here all the time. Not to mention those who go on stateside or retire. This week marks 2 months in Africa and 5 months of my employment. I can hardly say that I’m not feeling so “wide eyed” but I am settling in. It’s funny how G*d has a way of doing things. I was really finding myself terrified to drive much less go anywhere. Hermit is not in my vocabulary but here I was being one. Luckily, G*d placed some guest here in the city I would become friends with and have to get out and drive around. I am defiantly a lot more comfortable, and learning my way around lately. Some of these friends will be back due to the nature of their work, but some will not.

"Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers,
for by so doing some people have shown hospitality
to angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

Driving really has been my greatest challenge. I never knew I could get so “queasy” over something I once loved to do in the states. I am getting over that “queasy” feeling, but it still comes back time and time again.

Language has been challenging. Some days I find myself bored out of my mind, some I just want to cry, and some I like it. I am pr@ying G*d gives me the strength to love the people enough to want to learn the language.

Another "Ah-ha!" moment happened this morning during my quiet time. Romans 12:17 " Repay no one evil with evil but give thought to what is honorable in the sight of all." This reminds me of the story in 1 Samuel of David and Saul. David spares Sauls life not once but twice when he had prime opportunity to kill him. But when G*d tests him with Nabal's nasty attitude, what does he do?! He wants revenge! I saw the new X men : first class last night with some of my transient friends and got to thinking about that along with David's story. Magneto wanted revenge so badly he was willing to hurt his friends to get it. In the end he becomes the bad guy for the rest of the Xmen series. Evil took him over, he let it. David wanted revenge, but thankfully Abigail stepped over social norms and barriers to intervene and it paid off for everyone in the end. G*d did justice in His eyes ( 1 Samuel 25:37)

No comments:

Post a Comment